This policy sets out the controls which we have adopted to govern the way we collect and use personal information, the circumstances in which we might disclose the personal information to third parties, how you can access your personal information held by us, and what you can do if you are unhappy with our treatment of your personal information.
2. What is Personal Information and how do we collect it?
Personal information means information we hold about you where your identity is either clear or can be reasonably determined. We collect personal information for one or more of the following purposes:
- Creating enrolment records
- Reporting training activity
- For one or more of our functions or activities. Such functions include the provision of our services to you, marketing our services and to give you the best service experience possible.
The personal information collected and held by A.S. Flying School could include but is not limited to:
- Date of Birth
- Current and previous overseas and Australian address
- Telephone number/s
- Email addresses
- Driver Licence Number
- Passport Number
- ABN / ACN
- Tax File Number (TFN)
- Visa number and class
- Bank Account Details
- Health Care Card
- Birth Certificates
- Diversity Status
- Relevant Sensitive Information (e.g. health and/or disability)
Collection of Personal Information
A.S. Flying School collects personal information in a number of ways, including, but not limited to:
- Information from applicants expressing interest or applying for enrolment into a A.S. Flying School course, collected on A.S. Flying School Contact page, Expression of Interest and Enrolment Application forms (electronic or hard copy)
- Personal details collected at marketing activities, expos, competitions, from email enquiries and interested parties seeking information about A.S. Flying School services, training opportunities and eligibility for government funding
Personal information will not be collected unless:
- The information is collected for a purpose directly related to A.S. Flying School training services
- The collection of the information is necessary for that purpose
Some provision of personal information is optional. However, if you do not provide us with certain types of personal information, you may not be allowed to be provided with our services.
We may also collect personal information from you while interacting with our websites if you input any personal information into the website. In addition, we may also collect cookies from your computer, which enables us to tell when you use the website and also to help customise your web experience.
3. Use and disclosure of Personal Information
The use to which we can put personal information depends on the reasons for which it was collected. We may use your personal information for a purpose to which you consent, its primary purpose of collection, or any related secondary purpose for which we could reasonably be expected to use the personal information.
Such use may involve us disclosing your personal information to third parties. Where such a disclosure is necessary, we will require that the third party treat your personal information in accordance with, and be bound by, the APPs (or an overseas equivalent).
We may use your personal information for promotional or marketing purposes where you have consented or where you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information for that purpose (e.g. if you sign up to our newsletter). You may request that we do not use your personal information for marketing purposes by notifying us in writing at the address provided in section 4.
Personal information collected may be used:
- To create a student record in the A.S. Flying School System and record individual information in each student’s file
- To record student information and progression of training and education courses
- To maintain evidence of participation, progression and completion in individual student (hard copy and electronic format) files
- For sending notifications related to the training services to individuals at their request
- For emergency contact details for the purposes of contacting appropriate next of kin in the event of an unforeseen emergency
- Supply of information to CASA or RAAus in relation to the students learning outcomes
- To contact the student about marketing promotional activities through SMS or email
Besides the above, personal information collected by us will only be disclosed in the following circumstances:
- we are required or authorised to do so by law;
- in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights;
- for identification and verification purposes; and
- to provide for the safety and security of staff, customers and other visitors.
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the information we disclose or use is accurate, up-to-date, complete and relevant.
Other than as required or permitted by law, we will not sell or share your personal information without your consent.
4. Access to Personal Information
You may request access to personal information held about you by us. Such a request must be made in writing to the address below:
A.S. Flying School
Attn: The Privacy Officer
PO Box 167
Paddington Qld 4064
Ph: (07) 3157 4555
When contacting us please include your full name, address, contact number and 2 forms of photo identification (e.g. driver’s licence, passport or 18 plus card).
We will respond to your request for access to the personal information within a reasonable period and give you access to the information in the manner requested, if it is reasonable and practicable to do so in light of the circumstances.
A request to access personal information may be rejected by us, including if:
- the request is frivolous or vexatious;
- giving access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of another person;
- we reasonably believe that giving access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any person;
- providing access would prejudice our legal rights; or
- there is another legal ground to deny the request.
We may charge a fee for reasonable costs incurred in giving access to your personal information. We will not charge you a fee without advising you of it and we will not charge you to make the request to gain access to your personal information.
5. Storage and Security of Personal Information
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information held by us is secure from any unauthorised access, modification, misuse, interference, loss or disclosure. Your personal information is held by us on a secure server or in storage located in controlled environments with monitored and password controlled access.
However, we do not guarantee that personal information can’t be accessed by an unauthorised person or that unauthorised disclosures will not inadvertently occur. When unauthorised access occurs we will take all necessary steps to identify the breach and to alert you and the necessary authorities.
We take reasonable steps to destroy and permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer needed for the purposes for which we are authorised to use it.
6. Correcting Personal Information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information we collect from you is accurate, up-to-date and complete. However, if you believe that any personal information that we hold about you is inaccurate or out-of-date, you should contact us in writing at the address in section 4 above.
For further information regarding complaints please contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
8. Sending information overseas
Although unlikely, personal information that we collect may be transferred overseas to enable us to use the information in accordance with its primary purpose for collection set out above or for any related secondary purposes for which we could reasonably be expected to use the information.
9. Changes to this Policy
A.S. Flying School prides itself on its one-on-one instructing. We offer flexible course hours so flying can easily fit in with your lifestyle.
Glass Cockpit Training