General Questions

Where are you located?

We are located at Archerfield Airport, Archerfield, QLD 4108 Australia.

How can I get there?

There is parking available at the hangar. Public transport is also available to Archerfield Airport.

Where can I park?

There is parking available at Archerfield Airport along Qantas Ave directly outside the hanger.

When are you open?

Our hours are flexible to suit student schedules and we currently have online bookings available for 9:00am – 9:00pm. You can give us a call 8:00am – 10:00pm 7 days a week if you have any questions.

Do I need to bring anything with me?

It is recommended you wear comfortable clothes, closed-in shoes and sunglasses. You will need your pilot log book if you are recording hours. It is expected that you will purchase some items early into your training such as your own headset.

Is there a minimum age to start flying?

There is no minimum age at which you can begin your training, so you can fly at any time you like! However, you must be at least 15 years old before you can fly solo. To sit the flight test for a Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL) you must be 17 and for a Commercial Pilot’s Licence (CPL) you will need to be 18.

How much do you need to know about flying?

You do not need any prior aviation knowledge or experience before your first lesson! Our instructor will go through everything you need to know and will be there to guide you along the way.

Will the lesson be cancelled due to weather?

Safety is our top priority, so if the weather is not suitable to fly we will need to cancel and re-schedule your lesson. We will let you know at the earliest time possible if your lesson is cancelled, however sometimes weather is unpredictable and we may have to cancel the flight upon your arrival.

Is flying safe?

While there is always some risk involved when commanding any vehicle, at A.S. Flying School your safety is our top priority. We conduct safe flight training lessons at all times and adhere to CASA’s strict safety standards. Our instructors are experienced and professional and the Tecnam P2008 is fitted with the latest technology to ensure your safety.

Courses and training

What courses do you offer?

We offer Recreational Pilot License (RPL), Private Pilot License (PPL) and Commercial Pilot License (CPL). For more information on these courses go here.

Do you offer NVFR lessons?

Unfortunately we do not offer NVFR lessons in the Tecnam P2008.

How do I book?

You can book a Trial Instructional Flight, flying lesson or private hire by calling us on 07 3157 4555 or emailing info@asflyingschool.com

Do you offer a RA-Aus Pilot Certificate?

No, but if you learn with us, you can receive your RPL. The advantage with learning with a Tecnam P2008 is that you get the comfort and price of an RA-Aus plane, but you will be able to receive RPL standard training.

How long does it take to complete a RPL, PPL and CPL?

It is dependant on the student, as aviation training is competency based and some students may need longer or shorter flying time than others. In terms of logbook flight hours, an RPL will need 25 hours, a PPL will need at least 40 hours, and a CPL will need at least 200 hours.

How much will it cost?

Pricing will vary depending on the student, as aviation training is competency based and some students may need longer or shorter training time than others. At A.S. Flying School, a 1 hour flying lesson with an instructor is $467. 

Private plane hire is $310 plus a landing fee of $25 and briefing fee of $132 that are charged additionally per landing / briefing. The landing fee total is determined by the airport and subject to increase without notice. Additional briefings and lessons it will incur additional costs. 

Please contact us for more information.

How long does each flying lesson go for?

The length of each flying lesson is dependant on the topic of the lesson as some will require more time spent on theory and/or in the air. For casual flight time, it will be approximately 1 hour in the air and quick briefings before and after. More in-depth lessons can go for 2 or 4 hour blocks at a time, dependent on the requirements of the student.

What is the aircraft you have?

A.S. Flying School has a brand new Tecnam P2008 aircraft fitted with a glass cockpit. With a sleek design, comfortable seating, and the latest technology that will give you an edge in the aviation industry, it is clear why the Tecnam P2008 is established as both the aircraft of choice for Flight Training Organisations worldwide as well as for recreational flyers!

Can I re-schedule a lesson?

Yes, you can re-schedule a lesson 72 hours in advance with no additional fee. Any bookings changed less than 72 hours prior may incur a fee.

Do I need a medical?

You will need a medical for your Private Pilot License (PPL) and Commercial Pilot License (CPL). For your Recreational Pilot License (RPL) you can use your drivers license, however it is highly recommended you pass a medical before or early on into your training.

What are the educational requirements?

Proficiency in English is required to ensure understanding of content and communication with the instructor. While we do not have any educational requirements, most airlines require 12 years of schooling for someone to apply to join them. It will be advantageous to study Maths and Physics, although these are not mandatory subjects.

What is a Trial Instructional Flight?

A Trial Instructional Flight is perfect for those beginning to show an interest in aviation and want a taste in what is involved. It is also a great gift for those wanting to learn something new! You don’t need to have any prior flying experience and while you’re in the air, you’ll be able to take the controls of the plane under the supervision of our instructor. You can find more info here.

What is your membership program?

Our membership program will give members exclusive benefits from A.S. Flying School. For $164 a week, you will receive 2 hours of dual flying lessons per month plus complimentary landing fees. You must apply to become a member before your membership is accepted.

Will I be covered by insurance at A.S. Flying School?

Yes, you will be covered by insurance when flying with A.S. Flying School.

Is there theory involved?

Yes, there is some theory involved with obtaining your RPL, PPL and CPL. You must also pass a theory test for each license.


I want to become a pilot, where do I get started?

Congratulations on taking the first step towards your aviation career! It is recommended you start off with our Trial Instructional Flight where you will get an introduction to flying. You can then progress to work towards your Recreational Pilot License (RPL). If you would like more information on the type of licenses and their requirements, you can view our courses.

Read more about learning to fly.

I am an international student. Am I allowed to fly with you?

Yes! You can learn to fly with A.S. Flying School if you are an international student. However, proficiency in English is required to ensure understanding of content and communication with the instructor.

Can I work in Australia on a Student Visa?

If you are an International Student on a student visa you are permitted to work 20 hours a week. For full visa conditions please visit the Department of Home Affairs website or contact a registered migration agent.

Do you have VET FEE-HELP?

We do not currently have VET FEE-HELP, however we do have a membership program that offers flying lessons for a low weekly fee.

About us

A.S. Flying School prides itself on its one-on-one instructing. We offer flexible course hours so flying can easily fit in with your lifestyle.

A.S. Flying School